From: "Gatwood, Elden SAW" <elden.j.gatwood@usace.army.mil>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, May 18, 2011 6:35:05 AM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Underrepresented roads and car types (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Gene;

You're not insulting the PRR by stating that a lot of PRR cars on the MStL
ended up with hot boxes.

There were just a lot of PRR cars in most locations in the country. PRR had
a lot of its box cars get picked up by Midwestern roads for use in grain
service, in your time. Lots of general service box cars rarely came home to
PRR rails, and correspondence indicates the PRR was concerned about not ever
seeing these cars.

I think some of it was that some cars series were intended for rebuilding,
but they could only grab up what ended up back on PRR rails; it was not like
they didn't appreciate the payments, right?

So, if you had a lot of old PRR gen service box cars on the MStL, it is
probable a good number could end up getting sent to the shop with a hot box.

Your statistics were fun to look at,

Elden Gatwood