Re: Underrepresented roads and car types

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tony Wagner wrote:
Re PRR box cars never going "home": My memory may be faulty but I seem to recall reading long ago, probably in "Trains", that in the aftermath of the PC merger someone in the car service department found records of an X29 that had been built in the 1920s, loaded offline soon afterward, and had subsequently been repaired and even repainted on other railroads, then ultimately retired without ever having come back to the Pennsy. Don't know if it is true, but having worked for a railroad for many years before incentive per diem rules changed things, it certainly seems plausible.
Sounds like an urban legend, but would be nice to see documentation if it's true.

Publishers of books on railroad history