Re: Underrepresented roads and car types (UNCLASSIFIED)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Steve;

There are PRR cars in paint so terrible, the road forced to fix and reweigh
the car couldn't read the road name, and had to stencil the reporting marks
and car number from the underframe, on a new paint patch.

I did a model of an X29B repatched and stenciled by another road, using their
own lettering. It is definitely not close to PRR lettering!

Funny as #$%%

Elden

Tony--
Until you mentioned this car having been repainted off the PRR, I'd have
allowed that this was within the realm of possibility.

I just don't think that the Pennsy would lend out their stencils to an
off-line road or shop. So given a paint life of 15-25 years, this car would
have been re-painted at least once--off-line?? I suppose some industrious car
shop painter could have either used their road's stencils or made ersatz
Pennsy stencils when it came time to letter the car? I find this a little
hard to believe...

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , anthony
wagner <anycw1@...> wrote:

Re PRR box cars never going "home": My memory may be faulty but I seem
to recall reading long ago, probably in "Trains", that in the
aftermath of the PC merger someone in the car service department found
records of an X29 that had been built in the 1920s, loaded offline
soon afterward, and had subsequently been repaired and even repainted
on other railroads, then ultimately retired without ever having come
back to the Pennsy. Don't know if it is true, but having worked for a
railroad for many years before incentive per diem rules changed
things, it certainly seems plausible. Tony Wagner