From: Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wed, May 18, 2011 12:47 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Underrepresented roads and car types (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tony--

Until you mentioned this car having been repainted off the PRR, I'd have allowed
that this was within the realm of possibility.

I just don't think that the Pennsy would lend out their stencils to an off-line
road or shop. So given a paint life of 15-25 years, this car would have been
re-painted at least once--off-line?? I suppose some industrious car shop
painter could have either used their road's stencils or made ersatz Pennsy
stencils when it came time to letter the car? I find this a little hard to
believe...

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., anthony wagner <anycw1@...> wrote:

Re PRR box cars never going "home": My memory may be faulty but I seem to
recall
reading long ago, probably in "Trains", that in the aftermath of the PC merger
someone in the car service department found records of an X29 that had been
built in the 1920s, loaded offline soon afterward, and had subsequently been
repaired and even repainted on other railroads, then ultimately retired
without
ever having come back to the Pennsy. Don't know if it is true, but having
worked
for a railroad for many years before incentive per diem rules changed things,
it
certainly seems plausible. Tony Wagner