Re: Underrepresented roads and car types (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mike Fleming

L&BC was got the only one to abscond with PC boxcars LOAM did it too I think that stood for Louisiana Midland

Mike Fleming
Superintendent, Bluff City Div. SER, NMRA
President Emeritus, Memphis Society of Model Railroaders
Vice President, Memphis Railroad and Trolley Museum Model Railroad Club, a 100% NMRA Member Club

---------- Original Message ----------
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Underrepresented roads and car types (UNCLASSIFIED)
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 00:25:45 -0000

--- In STMFC@..., SUVCWORR@... wrote:

As I recall the car was repainted in the P/L of the road then in possession of the car. It was later identified by the purely PRR trucks and the C/N and original car number on the center sill. Or I could be thinking of another piece of lore.

Rich Orr
That was the LaSalle & Bureau County RR, which misappropriated a bunch of cars from the Penn Central, but it wasn't for the desire to make the cars look better and help Pennsey out; it was outright theft, and as I recall, some people did prison time.

It also happened after the cut-off of this list.

I'm going to join the side that says the repainting on a foreign road is an urban legend. The only work a foreign road will do is work where there is a standard AAR charge for the work, otherwise they will have no way to get paid. I doubt the AAR set a charge for repainting cars. I would imagine that they did have a charge for re-stenciling, as the car is unusable if the reporting marks can't be read, so that IS likely.

Dennis

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.