Re: Underrepresented roads and car types (UNCLASSIFIED)

anthony wagner

I should have been clearer. What I meant by 're-painting' was not painting the
whole car but, in addition to the required periodic reweighing and re-stenciling
which was done routinely on every railroad for both foreign and home road cars,
re-stenciling the road name, or more importantly the car number, if it had
become unreadable on at least one, or both sides of the car. In looking at
photos one occasionally sees a car that was so weathered and/or dirty that it
was difficult to tell who the owner might have been. When I worked as a yard
clerk, writing switch lists manually, it wasn't uncommon to have to take a car's
number off the end or some other less visible location because of paint fade,
rust, or dirt. If all else failed the accompanying waybills could be used,
sometimes by the process of elimination, to determine what the number was. I
also occasionally saw cars where it was obvious that someone had taken the
trouble to clean off at least the car's number and sometimes the initials too,
so it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that a car which had not been fully
repainted for twenty years or more might also have received this treatment.
There are also rare photos showing replacement numbers and/or initials in a
different font than the original but that didn't appear to be as common in the
steam/early diesel era than it is now. Tony Wagner