Re: Corroded hoppers

Jeff Coleman

I don't have the data with me at the moment but the N&W also started using copper bearing steel in the 1920's for gondolas & hoppers in coal service.

Jeff Coleman

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "rwitt_2000" <rwitt_2000@...> wrote:

Tony Thompson wrote:
Looking through railroad industry journals such as Railway Age
in the first ten or 15 years of the 20th century will show numerous
articles and letters to the editor about corrosion prevention on steel
car bodies, which of course were then just coming into common usage.
Paint formulas, surface preparation methods, drying times, and other
aspects of the problem were repeatedly discussed. After roughly World
War I, this topic disappears from the literature, and I assume a
consensus had emerged on how best to paint steel cars. This consensus
was NOT on account of copper-bearing steel being introduced to combat
corrosion, because that happened about a decade later.
Tony,

Which do you mean, a decade after WWI or after 1915?

In my reply to the original inquiry I listed the seminal article
published in 1923 by J. J. Tatum Superintendent Car Department of the
B&ORR where the B&O specifies its steel to have not less than 0.20%
copper.

"Reducing the Corrosion in Steel Cars, Steel containing a small
percentage of copper adopted to prevent rapid deterioration, J.J. Tatum,
Superintendent Car Department, Baltimore & Ohio, Railway Mechanical
Engineer, vol. 97, no. 7, July 1923, pp.413-416."

http://www.archive.org/details/railwaymechanica97newyuoft

Bob Witt