Re: Corroded hoppers

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bob Witt wrote:
Which do you mean, a decade after WWI or after 1915?
I meant really the decade after 1910. Let's be clear: copper- bearing steels for corrosion resistance were NOT new in 1910 or 1920 but date to the late 19th century. HOWEVER, they were not widely promoted or used until the 1920s. They were not heavily promoted for railroad use until the higher-strength alloys like Cor-Ten came along circa 1930. I did not say and did not mean to imply that no one in railroading used copper-bearing steels prior to Cor-Ten.

Publishers of books on railroad history