Re: covered gondola help

Richard Hendrickson

On May 30, 2011, at 12:04 PM, Peter Ness wrote:

Um...er...yes, that would be the 49' version of the 52' Bethlehem
Steel that I was referring to...I did know the Athearn car was a
"shorty", yet still I recall a couple of threads referencing a
prototype. It could well be the model subject was indeed another
gon at the time, which may be why my thread searches were
unsuccessful...
Peter, this topic comes up periodically on the STMFC list, and the
answer is always the same. There is NO prototype for the Athearn 48'
mill gondola. I have it on the authority of the toolmaker that the
body was a generic mill gondola designed to fit Athearn's existing
underframe and weight for the 50' flat car model (which also was a
generic model with no specific prototype). I have never seen photos
or other data for a mill gondola that was even close enough so that
the Athearn model could be used as an approximate stand-in. Several
of us have, in the past, cut the Athearn body into sections, glued
them back together, otherwise modified them, and ended up with
reasonably accurate models of various prototype gondolas ranging from
41'6" to 52'6" in length, but those are major kitbashing projects.

Richard Hendrickson