Re: covered gondola help

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Greg Martin wrote:
. . . these are BOX SCALE... Just like the flat car, whatever it took to fit in the little blue box.
Not to pick on Greg, but I think this "box scale" story is an urban legend. Athearn had several other box sizes for passenger cars and locomotives, and to maintain that they HAD to fit everything into a single box is silly. Greg, ever notice the Athearn mechanical reefers? Sure don't fit in the 40-ft. car box.
But I do think they wanted to keep cars short for those with 18-inch or less curves, sometimes called the "toy train folks." All across the early Athearn line, you see "shorty" versions of rolling stock (not all of which fitted in the same box). That's what I think was going on.

Publishers of books on railroad history