Re: Why not model actual train consists? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Maybe I am missing something based on what they did where I lived, but:

The guys I knew at Conway included guys whose job it was to look for the cars
in the yard (MTY) that suited the need of local industries. They were always
looking for: a) gons in good condition, b) 50-foot box cars in good
condition, c) 65-foot gons, d) covered gons, e) hoppers in good condition,
and f) certain types of flat cars, in that order, if I remember right.

The cars were assembled in blocks to serve groups of industries along certain
portions of the line.

A switch list was prepared, with the reporting marks and car number noted for
reach car, except for big strings of hoppers, for unit train usage.

If your local yard assembled a bunch of cars to go to local grain elevators,
by looking through what they had, and making calls for what they needed, then
creating that block for delivery, with a switch list for the crew of the
local, why would they not know where the cars were going?

Elden Gatwood