Re: UP box lettering

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 10, 2011, at 5:19 AM, tonyw738 wrote:

I am completing an HO model of one of UP's B-50-19s built in 1936,
or at least that is what the car's factory lettering shows. In
addition to the other minor work already completed, I am going to
replace the "new 11-36" with a later re-weigh symbol and date to
better fit the mid-1949 period that I model. The car is factory
painted with white road name and other data in the block lettering
style, but has a yellow Road of the Streamliners on one side and a
yellow Serves all the west on the other. I know this is an accurate
paint scheme but my question is: Was it current at the time the car
was built or was it applied later? If it was original I will
weather the car a bit heavier than if it was a later scheme. Thanks
for your help. Tony Wagner
Tony, the yellow "Road of the Streamliners" and "Serves All The West"
slogans were adopted by the UP in 1936 when the B-50-19 class was
under construction, so early cars in the class did not have slogans
but later ones did. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any evidence as
to where in the number series that practice was initiated, so there's
no simple answer to your question. Note that, from 1936 through
1938, the all of the lettering on UP box cars (including the slogans)
was in Railroad Roman, not Gothic. The UP changed to sans serif
lettering in 1939, so if your model has sans serif lettering, it
represents a post-1938 repaint, regardless of the "NEW" date. By
mid-1949, there would have been very few B-50-19s left with original
paint- like other RRs, the UP made a major effort to repaint older
box cars in the years immediately following WW II. So if your model
has RR Roman lettering, it should be very heavily weathered and
dirty. If it has sans serif lettering, representing a repaint, then
it could have been repainted with white stenciling and yellow slogans
at any time up to mid-1947, and can be weathered appropriately.

Richard Hendrickson