Re: Farmalls and Mix'd freights

thompson@...

Larry Jackman said:
I think there would be a restriction on how few tractors you can put on
a flat car. The RR is not going haul a half empty car. They will put a
minimum to to keep revenues up.
Larry, a minimum is exactly what a carload rate is. The railroad
certainly could not care less if you don't fill your car, and in fact will
benefit as the car will require less fuel to move. The railroad certainly
would and often did haul cars FAR, FAR from full. I have seen photos of
machinery parts occupying the bottom 5% of a box car, for example. This
would not likely make the minimum weight and would, as I understand the
rules, have to be billed as a carload.