Define "Striker", Please

Shawn Beckert

Fellow Listers,

Looking at various freightcar diagram books I note
that most give the length of a car as "length over
strikers". Would the striker be defined as that
part of the drawbar mechanism that the coupler hits
when it gets shoved back into the pocket after a
"hard joint"?

As a side comment, it seems odd that one would measure
a car length that way, because IIRC the coupler pocket
and therefore the "striker" generally sticks out beyond
the end of the car, does it not?

Shawn Beckert

Join to automatically receive all group messages.