To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: thompson@signaturepress.com
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:09:20 -0700
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Nomenclature - Boxcar or Box Car?

John Golden wrote:

I've often seen both terms in print--"box car" and "boxcar". I have
always felt that boxcar was incorrect use of the English
language . . .

My view, like John's, is that the correct term is "box car,"

but I recognize the problem of compound adjectives, such as when we

talk about the car color, "boxcar red," and the connecting of such

terms in that way, with or without a hyphen between them, is

commonplace and often avoids confusion. It makes clear that "boxcar"

modifies "red." That shouldn't lap over into connected use of the

terms when NOT in compound adjective form.

But John is right that even in Kalmbach magazines one sees

both "boxcar" and flatcar" used. Of course, it was in _Trains_

magazine recently that the F-M locomotive was referred to as a

"Trainmaster." Sigh.

Publishers of books on railroad history