From: John Golden <golden1014@...>
To: stmfc@...
Sent: Mon, Jun 20, 2011 12:57 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Nomenclature - Boxcar or Box Car?

Gentlemen,

I've often seen both terms in print--"box car" and "boxcar".  I have
always felt

that boxcar was incorrect use of the English language since use of the
term would lead to words such as tankcar and hoppercar and flat car.  However I
routinely see the term boxcar in both the professional and hobby
press.  Can
anyone cite an English language reason why we would use such a term?

Yes, I know the English language isn't perfect--that argument doesn't
count.

Wikipedia lists the term as "boxcar" and then describes it as a "goods
van".
Following the logic, wouldn't that therefore be goodsvan?  And why stop
there--why not railroadcar or switchpoint or tieplate?

Help me stop the madness.  If Ben can stop the United States from using
dashes,
then maybe together we can stop MS Word from spellchecking box car to
boxcar.

John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL