Re: Pennsy Round-roof design issue

mike brock <brockm@...>

Richard Hendrickson notes:

Probably the last holdout was the B&O, which dealt with the
tunnel clearance problems on its mainline Sand Patch grade by running
"high car specials" via a longer alternative route through Pittsburgh.
Not so. The real reason is that, on the Sand Patch grade, the tunnel near Manila has only one entrance. I know because back in 1981 on the day before ex C&O 614 was to take a train up that grade I went searching for the northern entrance and it wasn't there. I have always been puzzled about that, how trains surmounted that ridge...entering the southern tunnel portal...which I did find...to later appear much farther north. The B&O was tricky.

Mike Brock