Re: OMI two dome tank car

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Ed Sutorik wrote:
I have found cars with reporting marks that don't show up in the ORER before. I suppose that inclusion in the ORER is/was voluntary and perhaps even involved giving money to the publisher. Maybe perhaps.
No, it was NOT voluntary. The car descriptions in the ORER had official tariff status and each issue was intended to be complete and accurate for use by car clerks. Yes, of course, errors occurred, but not because it didn't matter. And cars not listed in the ORER were not supposed to be in revenue service.
Railroads spent real money collecting information and organizing it for submission to each ORER issue. They did not pay to be included. But many copies of each ORER were purchased by railroads for use by agents and clerks. That's how the ORER made its money.

Publishers of books on railroad history