Re: OMI two dome tank car

Ian Cranstone

On 2011-06-24, at 3:34 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Except that the photograph in the Overland ad is clearly of far more
recent vintage, probably taken in the 1970's or 1980's. (Notice the high
voltage transmission tower in the background.)

I can't find any listing for NIPX in 1972 or 1988 or any other source,
except for your 1932 entry. http://www.nakina.net/other/report/reportn.html

General American does list some 10,000 gallon two-compartment tank cars in
the 1950's, and I have a photo of GATX 1018. But that car is not insulated,
has radial rivets, and was clearly converted from a single dome car.

The photo of NIPX #8 is a real mystery. I thought it might be NIRX or NIBX
but those letters don't make any sense either.
Actually, Tim raises some interesting points here, and so I dug into this a little bit further:

A closer examination of the photo shows what look to my eye like AB brake components, which almost certainly were not installed on a car built in 1930 (as I recall, AB brakes were required on new cars beginning in the fall of 1933. I'm guessing (without much other evidence) that this photo more likely dates to the 1950s.

Also, I pulled my June 1936 copy of Tank Car Capacities off the shelf, and lo and behold, there was a listing for NIPX 6 through 8, all two-compartment tank cars. What is interesting is that the ORER had stopped listing these cars by 1933, strongly suggesting that these cars were in captive service (today for example, most coal gondolas are not listed in the ORERs).

So much for my theory that these cars had been transferred to a large leasing company...

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...
http://freightcars.nakina.net