Re: Tanks et al

tgmadden <tgmadden@...>

Shawn Beckert wrote:
As a tank car enthusiast almost as much as Richard H.,
but without his vast knowledge, I've been following this
conversation with great interest. What I've gathered from
this is that the problem isn't so much the tank itself as
it is coming up with a suitable underframe. Even in my
ignorance it seems to me that a tank, rivets or not, should
not be a problem for the more notorious members of this
list. Fabricating an underframe might be another story. I'm
thinking that if someone (there's that word again) could
design underframe parts that could be interchangeable as far
as different lengths or even width, that might go a long way
towards creating the ability to 'bash different car designs.
To paraphrase: "If you make the frame, the tanks will follow".

I'm sensing just the opposite. There are lots of underframe parts out there,
and I don't think too many of us would blanch at the thought of hacking
together a suitable underframe - if only we had the conical-riveted tanks of
assorted sizes. It's a daunting project to shave those rivets off of IM tank
bodies and then place them precisely onto a different body, but the nice
thing about masters is it only has to be done right one time. So it takes
you 3X or 4X the time a "good enough" model does - you can have 2, or 10, or
50 for the same effort. (Better yet, _I_ can have some too, because I'll do
the casting if Al or Martin won't.)

Tom