Re: ADMIN: NMRA Contest Thread Termination

Joel Holmes <lehighvalley@...>

Hi Andy, CJ & Others,

Please forgive me for not replying sooner. There are more things to do
than just sit in front of a computer all day. I have a large yard and
garden which need a lot of attention as well as some modeling, work and
other things.

Model railroading is in the mind of the person doing the modeling. To
look down our noses at someone we consider as doing inferior work
(modeling that does not fit our prospective) is hurting the hobby.

I have for many years attempted to do my modeling along the prototype
lines. I do have a few fantasy cars, or cars that do the job for me. I
am going to disagree with much of the logic or comments put out on this
thread. I fully expect to be totally trashed by my comets and will accept
it.

I am building a model railroad based on the 1912 to 1920 era. To be
totally accurate I am building all sorts of wooden cars. There are no,
and mean 0, wooden cars produced by manufactures that replicate the cars
that I need to run on my layout. I must scratch build all of my wooden
cars. Pictures are very few and very far between. Some decals are made
by Art Griffin and some others, but many are not and I have to take decals
from where ever I can mix to get the correct prototype lettering. Often,
I do not even know what the lettering was like. Often, the only way I can
build a car is to use the dimensions posted in my 1924 equipment guide and
by using car building techniques of the day found in my 1906 car builders
encyclopedia. There were cars still in service that were built before
1900.

Under these circumstances with very little prototypical data, using your
criteria, no matter how well built, or how close to actual car building
practices of the 1880 to 1920 I use, the car could never be judged and
receive a good score. To impose a harsh prototypical data requirement on
judging I feel thwarts model building. Also, I could never run a
prototypical model railroad using only a few of the car types in use
during that time period.

I have had several cars judged where the only data was a picture, and the
data from the equipment guide, I received merit awards. Had I not had a
picture and using your criteria, I probably would not have received merit
awards for the models.

To have as close as possible models for a period layout, we might as well
forget getting good scores or even a master modelers designation?

I also feel without judging and contests, the quality of modeling could
suffer greatly. However, a limit could be imposed upon those who win
every year.

Joel Holmes

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 09:36:35 -0500 (CDT), Joel Holmes wrote
No Quite,
I am horrified by some of the comments made about judging and contests.
Why?
Andy