Re: Vintage Freight Car Sighting

Richard Hendrickson

Seen at the NYS&W engine house in Binghamton, NY: a
vintage refrigerator car with reporting marks CACV 24007. This car
is a 40-ft ice reefer with plug doors, Dartnaught ends (didn't we
agree on a more formal name for these) and horizontal-seam side
sheathing.
The Barber S-2 trucks have "GATX 4-50" cast into all four of
them, and underneath the garish CACV paint it is apparent that the
car's original color was orange (on the sides at least) and the
original number was 24007. I couldn't make out the original
reporting marks anywhere on the car, and I wanted to believe it was
URTX but what was there led me to think it wasn't that. Anybody
have information about GATC-built reefers in 1950 in a 24000-series
and fitting this description?
I, for one, think this car belongs in a museum.
A forty foot reefer with four trucks certainly does belong in a museum,
Jeff, if not in a freak show.

Seriously, based on the physical description of the car and the date on the
truck side frames, it's got to be one of the steel reefers built by GATC in
1950 for URTX. The number isn't an as-built number. However, by the early
1960s a bunch of these cars had been fitted with 6' plug doors in place of
their original 4' leaf doors and renumbered. For an example, see the photo
of URTX 38041 on p. 25 of the Henderson "Classic Freight Cars" Vol. 3
reefer book. According to my 1/62 ORER, the dimensions of the URTX
24000-24999 series were exactly the same as those of the 38000-38099
series, so I'll bet the car was originally URTX 24007.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520