Re: USRA Gondola in 1943?

Schuyler Larrabee

Ben, the end of that WLE car caught my attention, too. I'll be very curious
what you can find.

SGL

Hedlund asked:
"I have run across a Shorpy photo of what appears to be of USRA origins with

rebuilt(?) steel ends. Here is the link:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/69?size=_original

The car in question is the IC gondola on the right side of the picture. My
1954
IC Freight Car Diagram Book isn't much help with this car.

What do you guys think?"

NOT a USRA gondola. The car does not have the pressed steel diagonals or
the
"open" center panel of the USRA gon.
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=g24.gif
<http://prr.railfan.net/freight/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=g24.gif&fr=cl> &fr=cl

Another great photo that challenges modelers' assumptions - note the
variations
in weathering, the fact that none of it looks like anything blasted out of
an
airbrush, and the subtle variation in heights and textures of the freight
cars
that the eye notices despite being at "three feet". Other freight cars
include
an Erie 1932 ARA boxcar with Buckeye ends, a very dirty B&O M-26 subclass
boxcar, two IC SS automobile boxcars, a WLE steel rebuild that I've not
before
encountered, and a freshly painted NYC DS boxcar.

I'll do some more digging tonight after I get home.

Ben Hom

=======
=======

=======