Walthers and the FGE/WFE/BRE Mechanical reefers built in the mid-1950's-HELP WANTED

Bill Welch

Wathers for awhile now has been wanting to do the 50-foot Mechanical
reefers built by FGE for FGE/WFE/BRE in the mid 1950's. This project
is still alive, although sometimes it seems like it is on life
support. The major holdup I am told is the lack of drawings for the
superstructure. Greg Martin has been trying to track down drawing and
ALL of the obvious possibilities have been exhausted. There is an
example of one of these 1950's era cars at the North Carolina
Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC. It is honestly beyond me why a
company like Walthers cannot/will not hire someone with the skill to
use this car to develop their own drawings. Walthers does have the U/
F drawings and I have recently unearthed many, many drawings for the
FGE WFE, and BRE paint and stenciling for both the pre-1959-60 and
post 1960 stenciling that I will be sending them. They have plenty of
photographs and technical information. Maybe there is a North
Carolinian on this list with drafting skills that could lend Walthers
a hand. Seriously, maybe there is someone on this list that knows
where these drawing can be located.

The cars built from 1953 through 1957 had the same basic side
construction with an additional grill added above the engine
compartment on the left side the most significant difference. By
doing the tooling with a portion of the side that can easily be
removed, and using separately applied grills, hopefully photo-etched,
and both iterations of the Improved Dreadnaught ends used on these
cars, Walthers could do the 1,000 plus cars built by FGE/WFE/BRE from
1953 through 1957. I am told the Northern Pacific had very similar or
even identical cars.

I call attention to this possibility, recognizing my friends at the
WrightTRAK have a beautiful kit for the cars built in 1955 thru 1957.

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930