Re: Icing frequency

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Clark Propst wrote:
My research has only turned up a truck from the local artifical ice company. The only photo I have (In Gene's reefer color book too) shows only ice blocks.
But, a friend remembers stopping to pick up ice chunks from reefers spotted at wholesale grocery and produce places on the Milwaukee here. So, the ice company had to be able to 'top off' chunked ice cars too..?
The perishable tariff specified what each size of ice would be, when the shipper chose it for a particular load. There were three "official" sizes, and of course the sizes are approximate values. The largest was "chunk ice," defined as pieces "not to exceed 75 pounds," which was a fourth of the usual manufactured ice block of 300 pounds. The second size was "coarse" ice, meaning 10 to 20 pound pieces (melon size). The smallest was "crushed," which is not like what we civilians think of as crushed, because it meant pieces the size of a man's fist.
If you look carefully at ice deck photos, there is usually one workman who is splitting the big blocks into smaller ones, and passing them to the man or men busting them up into the ice hatches.

Publishers of books on railroad history