Re: Another interesting Shorpy photo

mopacfirst

Oh, that this were the case. (steam-era content follows)

I was on the northbound Coast Starlight a couple years ago. Through all those curves on Cuesta hill, I was in the lounge car with fifty unwashed. On the rear of the train was a Soo Line business car complete with clerestory. I'm sure some of you know the car. Anyway, said business car was, of course, red. I can't tell you the number of people, say adults addressing their children, who were solemnly assuring them that this red car at the end of the train was.....the caboose.

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor wrote:
<snip>

. Young railfans may be confused by
ice reefers or running boards or even cabooses . . .

Publishers of books on railroad history