Re: Another interesting Shorpy photo

Dave Lawler

Good evening all,
My apologies to anyone who could not open the Shorpy photo of the SS Detroit with the deck load of stock cars etc. I should have included better information to locate the photo so here goes: Go to Shorpy then search for the photo “Smoke On The Water 1905”, that should get you there. I had trouble opening it myself when I checked my “sent messages”. Anyway, It’s a pretty good photo.
It appears that the Stmr. Detroit is bringing those cars to Canada based on the number of industrial buildings and stacks in the background. I don’t think Windsor was that industrialized in 1905 so it’s probably Detroit, Mich. across the river.
Four big natural draft stacks on that boat and lots of smoke. How would you like to be a fireman on that one?
Best regards,
Dave Lawler