From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Bruce Smith
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 9:18 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Ketchup (was Paint Thinner Question)

On Aug 7, 2011, at 10:27 PM, almabranch wrote:

Schuyler,
When I was in high school and college that water is the "universal
solvent."
Jared Harper
Athens, GA
Jared,

If you've had kids, you know that's not true... ketchup is the universal
solvent... although I must hazard that it probably needs to be thinned
itself to be airbrushed.

Which brings me to a freight car question. I know that various food-grade
oils (e.g. palm oil) and sugar solutions (e.g. molasses) were transported by
tank car - how about fruit or vegetable purees? Or was that business small
enough or local enough that bulk transport of product was not necessary?
Certainly, there would be issues with acidity (tomatoes) or fermentation
(one reason why it was argued here that bulk transport of grape juice was
unlikely).

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith