Re: Carmer Lift Levers

Jeff Coleman

I remember some Carmer uncoupling levers on in service cars when I first hired out as a brakeman on the N&W, 1976.

Jeff Coleman

--- In STMFC@..., "jaydeet2001" <jaydeet2001@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Guy Wilber <guycwilber@> wrote:

Rotary type uncoupling levers were required on new and rebuilt cars as of August 1, 1933. Within the provisions of Interchange Rule No. 3 covering uncoupling levers was a note recommending rotary types be installed during Class 1 repairs or when couplers were replaced.
Hmmm. N&W did some fairly extensive reworking of 1920s-vintage box cars over the years without replacing the Carmer levers. I even found a photo of a 1960s coke car conversion that kept the Carmers.

David Thompson