Re: Challenging Kits to build

Jim Barnes

Great modeling tip, one that I will definitely use on my tank car builds.  Thanks for posting.
Jim Barnes

From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Challenging Kits to build

Bill Welch wrote:
One very nice innovation is Jon Cagle's inclusion of heavy laser
scored/cut paper templates to help mark the handrail stanchions on
the tank.
It would be easy for the kit purveyor/designer to score the bottom
of the tank pattern with its centerline
I agree with Bill that the bottom centerline is a crucial
benchmark. But once you have it, you can make a paper strip which
wraps around the tank and just meets at the bottom centerline, and
then simply mark it for things like handrail stanchion height and end
grab iron location. I use that technique on lots of tank projects, not
just resin.

Publishers of books on railroad history