Re: FGE in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York

Bryan Busséy

Tim,

Possibly because that was NH's west-end terminus from which they
performed major carfloat operations to New Jersey and other points in
the City.

bb

On 9/2/2011 3:44 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

I'm curious, why would there be an icing station in the Bronx?
Wouldn't the Bronx be a -destination- for refrigerator cars, and
not so much an origin, or transit point? Was it common to have
icing stations at destinations?

Tim O'Connor

The Pennsylvania (50% partner with the NYNH&H of the New York Connecting
Railroad and owner of the LIRR) also operated in Kings County and Queens
County as well as New York County. I don't know if there was an FGE
icing station in New York City Proper other than Oak Point.

bb

Yes thanks Byron, I was intending to ask about that. My database of
FGE Icing stations shows two Icing locales on the NYNH&H--Maybrook, NY
(Regular, Al-Year, Initial & Reicing) and Oak Point, NY (Emergency,
Al-Year, Initial & Reicing)--so I thought it must have trackage in New
York.