Re: End Numbers

Layout Tour

Francis,

I looked at Vic Roseman's article in the Oct 2002 issue of RMJ (http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/196/14287/october-2002-page-13). The photo of the prototype car is 12900 and the car number is stenciled under the Diamond as Tim mentioned. The LV company drawings and all the photos I've seen have the number under the diamond.

The black diamonds on the sides and ends were introduced in 1939 when the LV switched from black to freight car red on most of their freight cars. The end diamonds were 16 1/2" wide and 10" high with the 4 1'2" LV letters in white.

Dan Hicks is the only one I'm aware of that currently has accurate decals available for this car. He doesn't have a website, but you can email him at dhickstrains@msn.com and he'll send you his list of eastern road decals.

Thanks for the reminder about the Trainlife site. I now have it bookmarked.

Chuck Davis
Norfolk, VA

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Francis A. Pehowic, Jr." <rdgbuff56@...> wrote:

Tim,
     You will find photos on Trainlife site.  Rail Model Journal - October, 2002 issue.  I have not yet read the article.  Seems like a simple kit -bash.  Caption under photo says 1948 car order.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.
Sunbury, Pa.

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] End Numbers

I've seen photos of LV hoppers with the LV emblem AND a stenciled car number,
but I've never seen a photo of one with the number inside the emblem! When was
LV 19000 built?

Champ decals actually made the 10" herald for the hoppers: HH-281

Tim O'Connor

At 8/30/2011 08:01 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
I recently saw a photo in a magazine of a Lehigh Valley 19000 series ribbed offset-side hopper that had its end number painted in a black diamond. It was car number 19000. Did any other roads use their herald on the end of their cars?

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.
Sunbury, Pa.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.