PRR BOXCAR TRIANGLES

Steve Vallee

Dear Group...

While looking through the July, 1951 issue of Railroad Magazine, I found this Q&A on page 67:

Q)...Several new Pennsy boxcars have a white triangle stenciled on their sides, centered between the railroad name and car number. Can you tell me what this symbol means?

A)...The white triangle is a new Pennsylvania Railroad designation for a PRR Class A boxcar to be loaded with grain and other milling products, and returned to Buffalo for reloading, when empty. such cars are specially coopered to make them tight and dry for grain hauling, and they are equipped with special grain doors. If you follow "INFORMATION BOOTH" (another department in RAILROAD MAGAZINE) you already know that the New York Central marks its Buffalo grain service boxcars with a white star.

Steve Vallee