Re: Boats on Flats

Ian Cranstone

On 2011-09-30, at 4:19 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

I guess I should have said 60' 70 ton flats, Ian. According to the
ORERs, those ancient CN 600300 series cars had a nominal capacity of
only 20 tons and would have collapsed under the weight of the boat in
question. At the time, IIRC, only the Santa Fe and Southern Pacific
owned 60' 70 ton flat cars.
They were definitely somewhat challenged structurally, although their steel underframe did ensure a long service life -- I should note that they were actually listed with a 95000 lb. nominal capacity, with a limit of 40000 lbs. applying to loads concentrated in the centre portion of the car.

As an aside, I have a World War II era photo showing a Royal Canadian Air Force motor launch loaded on CN 600301.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...
http://freightcars.nakina.net