From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Richard Hendrickson
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2011 5:37 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Steam era track and CVT Tie strips.

On Oct 16, 2011, at 12:44 PM, Brian Carlson wrote:

I want to try handlaying some track using CVT Tie strips. They
offer both
8'-6" and 9'-0" mainline tie length. 210-2001 which are 9 ft ties, and
210-2003 8'-6" ties which of these, if either, are more
prototypical for the
steam era. My steam era freight cars need someplace to run.
Brian, different railroad had different standards for crossties.
It's hard to know what standard practice would have been on the
railroad you're modeling. On the Santa Fe, 9' hardwood ties were
required on all main line trackage. On secondary trackage, 8' ties
were used on tangents, 9' ties on all curves of one degree or more.
Branch lines got 8' ties.

Richard Hendrickson