Re: Warped Plastic Gondola

Benjamin Hom

Paul Hillman wrote:
"Well, I'll be durned!!! I finally found the small manufacturer name in the
car's

underframe, covered with some paint. It was made by, "Bachmann - Made in
Taiwan"."

Paul, thanks.  I had forgotten about the Bachmann version of this model.
http://ho-scaletrains.net/bachmannhoscalerollingstock/id37.html

"In my quick, initial measurements, the ends, width and length are close to the
prototype, but the sides appear about 8 inches too tall at 5ft-0 in, instead of
4 ft - 4 in. The C&EI Dwg. calls the prototype a, "LOW-SIDE STEEL GONDOLA".
<<snip>>
But, for reference, the proto-dwgs. show:

42 ft - 7 1/8 in Length - Over Striking castings
7 ft - 3 3/4 in Height - Above railhead
31 ft - 0 in Truck Centers
3 ft - 9 3/8 in Railhead to Top of Floor
10 ft - 5 in Width - Over Chords"

8 inches is a lot, but this does present a use for this model, much as we got
some extra mileage from the Tyco gon by cutting it down in height to model 40 ft
D&H gons and their copies on the NEB&W roster.  If the rest of the details and
dimensions are close, it's an esay matter to do the same to the
Varney/Life-Like/AHM/Mehano/Walthers/Bachmann... 40 ft gon.

"Isn't it "illegal" to scan the C&EI HS magazine and post it, etc.? But I think
if you want to contact Bob McQuown at the C&EIHS he would be glad to provide the

prototype drawings, at: president@ceihs.org<mailto:president@ceihs.org>"

Without permission, it certainly is.  Besides, I'm certainly OK with purchasing
a copy of the issue in question from the society - after doing enough of this
stuff for free, the least I could do is kick $12 plus shipping to the C&EI
Society for the effort to publish this work.

"Maybe the C&EI had another series of gons even closer to this Bachmann model.
(They had several different series.) But, if this one will work, and with the
"free" or inexpensive offers you've all made, I could build a large fleet of
them."

Just give the word!  Not only do I have some extras in the morgue, I can scare
up more from the basement in Davision Hall that can be had for a donation to the
club.

Ben Hom