Re: B&O M-53 was Re: B&O, GM&N

O Fenton Wells

Thanks for the nice reply. Sounds like on my North Carolina layout set in
November 1952, I could go either way. If the doors are black however, the
car should be a little more weathered for my era.
Fenton Wells
On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 4:03 PM, rhammill <nhrr@the-hammills.com> wrote:

**

Hi, Fenton -

It depends on the era of the photo. The New Haven steel Box Cars were
delivered with black doors. When they were shopped the doors were repainted
with the body color. I don't recall if all of the steel box cars delivered
in the '40s received the black doors, but the majority did.

Note that repainting began by the late '40s, so by 1947-48 you'd be seeing
a mix of black doors and oxide red.

I'm not sure I've seen any pictures in the '50s with black doors, but that
doesn't mean there weren't any by then. I'd have to dig a bit more for
specifics.

Randy Hammill
http://newbritainstation.com
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Great photo John. This brings up an interesting question for a novice
freight car fan. The picture shows a New Haven boxcar. I was told by
someone that the doors on these cars were painted black. This one is not.
Do I have incorrect info? Any knowledgeable NH fans out there that can
set
me straight?
Fenton Wells
On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM, boyds1949 <e27ca@...> wrote:

**

Here is a link to a photo in (I think)the University of Indiana
collection
showing an M-26 in the first 13 great states lettering. In this case,
the
color is definitely a version of the oxide red.

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/collections/cushman/full/P06941.jpg

I have a slide, taken in 1946 at Brunswick, that shows a couple of
M-15s in
the same lettering but in what appears to be brown paint. I guess it
depended on how much old paint was still in the barrel.

John King

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, SUVCWORR@ wrote:

The "red" paint began with the 13 great states lettering scheme in
1946.
These cars are in the second run scheduled for release in the Spring of
2012.

Rich Orr