B&O M-53 was Re: B&O, GM&N

Donald B. Valentine

Thank you Rich & John,

And the photo is great! One cannot help but notice the difference not only between the B&O M-26 and what appears to be a Dumaine era New Haven repaint but also between the New Haven repaint and the ACL and SP box cars. The SP car appears to have been about the same color tone as the New Haven prior to the effects of weathering, while the ACL car appears that it must have been somewhere between the New Haven and B&O car when freshly painted. Would anyone care to comment on what I surmise here?

Cordially, Don Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., "boyds1949" <e27ca@...> wrote:

Here is a link to a photo in (I think)the University of Indiana collection showing an M-26 in the first 13 great states lettering. In this case, the color is definitely a version of the oxide red.

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/collections/cushman/full/P06941.jpg

I have a slide, taken in 1946 at Brunswick, that shows a couple of M-15s in the same lettering but in what appears to be brown paint. I guess it depended on how much old paint was still in the barrel.

John King

--- In STMFC@..., SUVCWORR@ wrote:

The "red" paint began with the 13 great states lettering scheme in 1946. These cars are in the second run scheduled for release in the Spring of 2012.

Rich Orr