Re: Western Union

Donald B. Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., Glen Mills <mills.glen@...> wrote:

Hello,

Below is text I have copied from the Steam Era Freight Cars
Discussion Group.

The second last paragraph refers to the NKP (and others) as
acquiring some of their cars.

Any details would be appreciated, please.

Regards,

Western Union Tidbit

Posted by: "Steve" stvvallee@... stvvallee

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:30 am (PDT)

Dear Group...

Over a year ago, there were some members asking about Western Union
cars. This might not help, but I found this tidbit on page 34 of
the August, 1959 issue of Railroad Magazine under their > "Information Booth" section:

Q)...Does Western Union own and operate railroad cars?

A)...Yes, they have 33 on the Southern Pacific, Missouri Pacific,
Seaboard Air Line, Atlantic Coast Line, New Haven, Jersey Central,
Long Island, Canadian National and other roads where and when
required.

They are used by WU's Plant and engineering Department for
maintenance and repair of telegraph lines by crews dispatched in
a completely self-sustaining unit comprising sleeping-car, dining
car and tool and material boxcars. At one time the company
operated about 200 railroad cars.

This list seems to overlook Steve Vallee's favored Boston & Maine
on which rested a Western Union tool car adjacent the former Greenfield, Mass. depot site and next to the Connecticut River line
dispatcher's office until approximately 1973. It was this car that was believed to have been the prototype for the Ambroid "One of 5000" kits.

Cordially, Don Valentine