B&O M-53 was Re: B&O, GM&N

Jim Mischke

Vince,

Your brown Fox Valley M-53 in early 13 Great States lettering (1945-46) is accurate, although not crisply documented.

B&O changed to the Linking 13 Great States logo and commercial bright red oxide paint in roughly the same time frame in 1945. Very roughly. Photos suggest that the new stencil drawings were distributed and implemented well before the supply of home brew freight car brown paint was exhausted at every car shop. So one definitely has a choice of color with the earliest 13 Great States scheme. Fox Valley Models was aware of this choice and chose brown.

Indeed, there are some suspiciously dark boxcars found running about in 1950's lettering schemes. Mixing the old freight car brown paint was easy to do, maybe this was done in a pinch. Car shop formen were yelled at worse for missing the daily quota than for violating the current painting and lettering orthodoxy.

The Barkan B&O boxcar lettering scorecard (link below) makes sense out of our once collective choas, yet it does not account for transitions and variations, many found since it was published.

http://borhs.org/Logos/CBarkan/BOBoxcarStenciling1920-60s.pdf

Jim Mischke

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, steel77086@... wrote:

Rich,

I'm a bit confused. I've just received a couple of the Fox cars with the 13
Great States herald in brown paint. Do you mean to say that the 13 Great
States herald was ONLY
applied to the "red" cars and NOT the brown?? I thought the Fox Valley
cars were
all correct.

Vince Altiere

In a message dated 10/22/2011 12:53:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
SUVCWORR@... writes:

The "red" paint began with the 13 great states lettering scheme in 1946.
These cars are in the second run scheduled for release in the Spring of
2012.

Rich Orr