Re: Odd Uses for Abandoned Cars

Joel Holmes <lehighvalley@...>

Likewise, the Lehigh Valley dumped quite a few old coal hoppers in the
Lehigh River in the Lehigh Gorge during one of the high water floods
sometime in the 50's. I do not recall the exact date or storm, but I
think it was in the 50's.

Joel Holmes

Repairing a washout after a big flood in 1927, the Rutland used 28 wooden
boxcars as riprap near East Clarendon, Vermont. See Nimke, "Rutland", vol
3, p 11.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Steve Vallee wrote:
I spotted this tidbit on page 133 in the October, 1937 issue of
Railroad Magazine:
. . . during the St. Patrick's day flood in 1936 the Pennsy dumped a
lot of old hopper cars over the bank near Johnstown, Pa., to keep
the river from undermining the track.
SP did this kind of thing several times along the Eel River in
northern California, especially around the heavy floods of 1961 and
1968, and many of the steel GS gons used are still there (with bent
frames, etc.). I saw some of them a few years back. But I'm not sure
this qualifies as an "odd" use.

Publishers of books on railroad history