Re: trucks (was Bulkhead F-70-6 flat)

thmsdmpsy

The chariot story has been around forever, and of course it's not factual.  The trucks are too wide to accommodate wheelsets which are too wide to accommodate frogs which are gapped too wide to accommodate late forties and early fifties trainset manufacturing standards.  Now all one has to do to get everyone in HO model railroading to completely change their layouts and inventory of rolling stock over to Proto 87 fairly instantaneously and the problem will be solved.  See, easy.  Tom Dempsey

________________________________
From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@jimbetz.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 7:14 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: trucks (was Bulkhead F-70-6 flat)

Dennis,

Let me guess at some 'archaeology' - the trucks are too wide
because the original Athearn/MDC trucks were too wide because
some guy made some decisions about how hard it was for people
or a machine to install the wheelsets (and/or maybe about the
clearances "needed" for side/skew motion/clearances) ... which
all tracks all the way back to the size of a pair of roman
chariot horses' asses. *Sigh* (or should that be *G*?)
- Jim
1c. Re: Bulkhead F-70-6 flat
Posted by: "soolinehistory" destorzek@mchsi.com soolinehistory
Date: Mon Nov 7, 2011 4:17 pm ((PST))
snip

Now, if we could just get people interested in having the trucks
be the CORRECT WIDTH, maybe we'd make progress.

Dennis