Re: Was a 7-ft box car door really . . .

Jim Mischke

What we call a seven foot door is actually the prototype door opening width.

If I recall correctly, this was first pointed out by C&NW boxcar expert Jeff Koeller at a Naperville presentation a few years ago. Previous to that, it was common for modelmakers to make the door itself the nominal six, seven, eight foot wide. And we customers did not know the difference. Few if any of us checked drawings.

--- In STMFC@..., "Brian" <cornbeltroute@...> wrote:

seven feet (for example) wide? Or, was it typical for box car doors to be a bit wider because the actual box car door opening was seven feet (for example) wide, and doors needed to span the opening plus some? If so, was this a common building practice?

Thanks much,

Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa