Re: Stock Car Question

benjamin

The DRGW used to haul ice in the winter from Rollinsville to Denver in stock cars. The ice was bedded in straw for the trip. The pictures that my father-in-law took were published in one of the one of the historical society magazines dealing with the DRGW and or the Moffit line a few years ago. The big question is were the cars steam cleaned before handling the ice? Could have been a little extra "local" flavor in your mixed drink otherwise!

I'm sure other roads did the same where hard freeze mountain areas were close to cities with warmer weather. California? East coast states?

Ben Heinley