Re: New Haven Ice car

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Steve Bishop wrote:
I am considering using a Tichy PFE Class R-40-4 reefer as a stand in for the New Haven Ice car I-74. According to the New Haven Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment, I-74 was former PFE 90551, an R-40-8.
Can anyone tell me what the visible differences would be between these two classes?
Steve, they were very similar cars. Certainly most modelers could not tell the difference. Most of the differences, in fact, were internal. The R-40-8 cars were a little taller, but only be about 2.5 inches. (For more information, including photos, see the PFE book; see any post-WW II ORER for dimensions).

Publishers of books on railroad history