From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Bruce Smith
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 10:04 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Fox Valley (and ExactRail) B&O Wagontop

John,

You've got the dates right in your email ;^) I suppose this means that
you're asking that timeless question... how quickly did prototype steam
era freight car paint schemes get changed? Actually, the answer is
pretty easy... "It depends" There ya go! Problem solved <G>.

OK, seriously. Prototype cars were repainted approximately every 5-10
years depending on the economics and perspective of the home road and of
course, relying on the car to make it home at some point. For your 1957
era, if you have just a single one of these, I'd go for the mid
1955-1957 "Billboard 13 Great States" scheme from Chris' B&O boxcar
lettering PDF. Obviously, the reweigh date should be between mid 1955
and your modeling date. As noted previously, that scheme is not listed
for the FVM or the Exactrail car. Alternatively, you could go with the
Mid 1946 - Mid 1955 "Post War 13 Great States" and weather the car a bit
more. That would be exactrail SKU 90051

Note that the blue and green schemes listed are both express boxcar
schemes for use in passenger service.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

"John Degnan" <Scaler164@... <mailto:Scaler164%40comcast.net> >
11/14/11 7:16 PM >>>
Glad Ken posted this question as I have been meaning to ask this same
thing. I model the year 1957, so I'd like to know which of the schemes
being offered by Fox Valley could have still been seen on the prototypes
up to that year? :

http://www.foxvalleymodels.com/pdfs/jpgs/feb11bobox.jpg

ExactRail is about to release their own model of this car, and they are
offering it in 6 different B&O schemes. So my question applies to the
ExactRail model as well (although their site does show some mediocre
info about the timeline of the schemes they offer) :

http://www.exactrail.com/model-trains?dir=asc
<http://www.exactrail.com/model-trains?dir=asc&order=name&product_type=2082>
&order=name&product_type=2082
Main Product Page

http://www.exactrail.com/b-o-m-53-wagontop-box-car-b-o-2233
Listed as a 1937 and later scheme
(offered in 12 road numbers)

http://www.exactrail.com/b-o-m-53-wagontop-box-car-b-o-2236
Listed as a 1947 and later scheme
(offered in 5 road numbers)

http://www.exactrail.com/b-o-m-53-wagontop-box-car-b-o
Listed as a mid 1945 and later scheme
(offered in 12 road numbers)

http://www.exactrail.com/b-o-m-53-wagontop-box-car-b-o-2234
Listed as a late 1937 and later scheme
(offered in 6 road numbers)

http://www.exactrail.com/b-o-m-53-wagontop-box-car-b-o-2235
Listed as a 1942 - 1959 scheme
(offered in 6 road numbers)

John Degnan
Scaler164@... <mailto:Scaler164%40comcast.net>

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"kenrobbins39" <kenrobbins39@...> wrote:

I recently picked up an HO scale B&O wagontop boxcar imported by Fox
Valley, that has the large B&O lettering. It's a beautiful model and I
really prefer it over the older, smaller lettering, but because I model
the year 1954, I have a concern about the "NEW 6-63" date on the side.

Can anyone on this list tell me when these M-53's were first
repainted with the large B&O lettering?

Thanks.

Ken Robbins