Re: Fox Valley (and ExactRail) B&O Wagontop

Andrew Jeanes

Hi,

Like John Degnan, I model 1957. I have seen photos of my
modeling area (eastern Ontario) that indicate B&O M-53
boxcars were an occasional visitor--though not as common
as B&O open hoppers with soft coal for industrial customers.

Photos I've seen of M-53 boxcars in my area and time period
all have the Youngstown doors, not the Tatum doors.

I missed out on the Fox Valley run of M-53s earlier this year
but am interested in possibly getting one of the ExactRail
models. I notice ExactRail isn't offering a version with the
Youngstown doors.

Any guesses on the likelihood of ExactRail doing a future
run of these cars with Youngstown doors and later period
lettering schemes? Alternately, what would be a good
aftermarket Youngstown door to retrofit onto one of the
upcoming run of ExactRail models?

Regards,
Andrew

--- In STMFC@..., "rwitt_2000" <rwitt_2000@...> wrote:

Tim,

I forgot to add that I observed a M-53, ~1960, in a long line of bad
ordered B&O box cars in Caseyville, Illinois. It still had Tatum doors
one, which was off its tracks was lying on the floor of the car. I
believe it was the first time I saw a XLT door. As you suggest, it is
possible that some M-53s made it to the late 1950s still with their
Tatum doors.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Thanks Bob. Since my modeling -begins- with 1955 I'll be waiting for
the cars with replacement doors... but maybe an XLT will slip in
there.

I have 6 photos and/or Xeroxes of photos of M-53 and 1 M-53A all
still
with their Tatum "XLT" doors. Most are from the Anderson, Barkan and
King Collection. The re-weigh dates range from 12-45 to 3-55. The
paint
schemes range from the early "13 Great States" to the late "13 Great
States" as described in the Barkan document. The re-weigh dates from
the
1950s include 1950, 1951, 1952 (2), and 1953.

The last is a shop photo at Mt. Clare of a M-53 wearing the brand new
"Billboard scheme". It was common for the B&O to do samples at their
"mother shop", Mt. Clare in Baltimore, before changes were released
system wide.

Based upon photos its appears the doors were replaced beginning in
the
mid-1950s.

Bob Witt