Re: Fox Valley (and ExactRail) B&O Wagontop

Todd Horton

Does anyone know if (all of the cars had) and when the doors would have been replaced? The Springs Mills site shows in service pics of cars with Youngstown doors on all of them. One other minor detail, what's the "circle T" designate? Todd Horton

________________________________
From: rwitt_2000 <rwitt_2000@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:27 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Fox Valley (and ExactRail) B&O Wagontop

Andrew,

I just checked the Spring Mills Depot web site and they don't imply
their special run from Fox Valley is sold out. You can check with them.

http://www.springmillsdepot.com/M53_status.htm

Also there is another run from Fox Valley due first quarter next year.
The B&OHS will have a special run of unique numbers so keep checking
that site as more details become available. http://borhs.org/

For an Exactrail, I would try to get a kit as I believe the door is a
separate part.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Andrew wrote:

Hi,

Like John Degnan, I model 1957. I have seen photos of my
modeling area (eastern Ontario) that indicate B&O M-53
boxcars were an occasional visitor--though not as common
as B&O open hoppers with soft coal for industrial customers.

Photos I've seen of M-53 boxcars in my area and time period
all have the Youngstown doors, not the Tatum doors.

I missed out on the Fox Valley run of M-53s earlier this year
but am interested in possibly getting one of the ExactRail
models. I notice ExactRail isn't offering a version with the
Youngstown doors.

Any guesses on the likelihood of ExactRail doing a future
run of these cars with Youngstown doors and later period
lettering schemes? Alternately, what would be a good
aftermarket Youngstown door to retrofit onto one of the
upcoming run of ExactRail models?

Regards,
Andrew

--- In STMFC@..., "rwitt_2000" rwitt_2000@ wrote:

Tim,

I forgot to add that I observed a M-53, ~1960, in a long line of bad
ordered B&O box cars in Caseyville, Illinois. It still had Tatum
doors
one, which was off its tracks was lying on the floor of the car. I
believe it was the first time I saw a XLT door. As you suggest, it
is
possible that some M-53s made it to the late 1950s still with their
Tatum doors.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Thanks Bob. Since my modeling -begins- with 1955 I'll be waiting
for
the cars with replacement doors... but maybe an XLT will slip in
there.

I have 6 photos and/or Xeroxes of photos of M-53 and 1 M-53A all
still
with their Tatum "XLT" doors. Most are from the Anderson, Barkan
and
King Collection. The re-weigh dates range from 12-45 to 3-55. The
paint
schemes range from the early "13 Great States" to the late "13
Great
States" as described in the Barkan document. The re-weigh dates
from
the
1950s include 1950, 1951, 1952 (2), and 1953.

The last is a shop photo at Mt. Clare of a M-53 wearing the brand
new
"Billboard scheme". It was common for the B&O to do samples at
their
"mother shop", Mt. Clare in Baltimore, before changes were
released
system wide.

Based upon photos its appears the doors were replaced beginning
in
the
mid-1950s.

Bob Witt