From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2011 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: New MDT book

Stan Schwedler wrote:
We received the new MDT book for stock for our store. People that
were wanting it have canceled in buying one. While it is probably a
very good corporate history, for the model builder they find it
lacking. It would had been a lot nicer if scale drawings were
included. Most of our customers are model builders. Instead, the
drawings are only 2 views (side and end), with no underframe or
cross sections. And they are not printed to any known scale, and no
dimensions are given to even scale from. I suppose you can assume
the wheelbase of the trucks are 5' 6" and you can go from there. But
it would be better to have a longer known dimension.
Here is a superb resource on the MDT's complex car fleet,
INCLUDING fine drawings and dozens of excellent photos, and MODELERS
are "canceling?" What more do they want? Extremely few freight car
books of any kind are as complete and thorough as this one. Yes, I'm
biased, but I think Stan's customers are confused.

Publishers of books on railroad history