Re: Flat car underbody question

David Sieber

Chad, I couldn't say it better than Tim did; please leave all the underbody detail in place. I am quite pleased with the five flatcars I bought from you, and would buy future offerings with full detail. Flatcars are meant to carry loads; I have enough well-weighted flats (P2K, IMRC, etc.) to represent non-loaded cars that aren't earning money for their owners! Dave Sieber, Reno NV

--- In STMFC@..., Tim O'Connor wrote:
My personal preference is for well detailed underframes. People
who don't care can easily add lead weights (and I have done this
on some models), but in general, LOADS fulfill the weight requirement.
Because of their low centers of gravity, I have found that flat cars
and gondolas can be underweight and still operate perfectly well.
What is the general census of the group as to the details for the underbody of the flat car castings. On my next run, should I leave out the smaller cross members and just do the center sill and larger cross members. Would this make it easier to add the weight? Thanks for the input.